Deepawali the word has its root in Sanskrit words Deepam and Vali meaning Rows of Light. This festival is celebrated by Hindu’s, Jains, Sikhs, Newar Buddhists. The festival spans five days, beginning two days before Amavasya (new moon), deemed to be the darkest night of Hindu calendar, and
extends two days on the second day of Karthik Maasa(Month).
The history of the festival is lost in the timeless time and spaceless space, for it has been related with stories on the religious deities, and connections with beliefs.
The core is emergence of light as a spark that gave one the
• Vision to know representing Dimensions
• Vision to see representing Pulsations
• Vision to feel representing Darkness
• Vision to connect representing Light
• Vision to expand representing Energy
• Vision to merge representing Mind
• Vision to Emerge representing Consciousness
These seven powerful subtlest formless-form expand on to realize the spark that is called Life, this is the most powerful formless form that one is able to realize faster for it is connected through the Form of Ether (Akasha), Air(Vayu), Fire(Agni), Water(Apas), Earth(Bhumi) and then from these 96 layers of elements too are realized. These 96 elements are connected through the Six vortex of energies called the Shat Chakra that provides connection to Life and slowly beyond the subtler layer to the state of origin of formless-form. Thus, the journey of becoming aware of Life, it is the beginning of the journey of knowing all aspects of Truth that one believes in through personal experience or through the knowledge we receive from other sources.
• Knowledge remains one/ Uni dimensional when knowledge is there but there’s none to receive it.
• Knowledge become two dimensional when there is a receiver and giver.
• Knowledge becomes three dimensional when between the giver and receiver there is a churning of thoughts at end of receiver.
• Knowledge becomes four dimensional when giver and receiver both work on the churning of thoughts.
• Knowledge becomes five dimensional when both receiver and giver give a newer perspective to the knowledge.
• Knowledge becomes six dimensional when knowledge, receiver and giver have churning of thoughts giving knowledge a newer birth
• Knowledge becomes seven dimensional when newer knowledge gives rise to a new giver and receiver.
• Knowledge becomes eight dimensional when its existence becomes the truth at body, mind and spirit levels
• Knowledge becomes nine dimensional when it merges with the subtler levels of consciousness
• Knowledge becomes ten dimensional when it emerges-merges and re-emerges from subtler consciousness
• Knowledge becomes eleven dimensional when it emerges as light.
• Knowledge becomes twelve dimensional the moment it becomes the consciousness.
Knowledge, awareness, Intuition, Awakening all are part of Life emerging from Spark. This is a powerful period that expands throughout the life in the subtlest area allowing one to connect to self. The Igniting Spark is what one realizes as Atman (soul) rest of the sparks are part of shakshatkar (realization) at various levels.
Lighting of Lamp is representation of the Truth we have forgotten, Light is not violent, conditions are and once we hold the conditions as true then Light will appease the body, body’s mind and body’s emotion only. World over Festival of Light is celebrated at different times and many similar to what we follow yet are different, for they are following the stories.
The lighting of lamp is quite similar to switching on light for the subtlest core remains the spark, but when we light a lamp in essence we get the warmth, light and a beauty that gives peace within.
This period in itself is a time when one should be taking oath of continuing on the path of knowing the self in the most beautiful manner, but one finds most people seek the external benefits that fulfils their endless needs and desires or even those seeking expansion on spiritual path take the way of gaining power(riddhies and siddhies), name, fame(Yash) and control and subjugation (vashikaran).
1. The First Lamp has to be lit with six wicks within your heart for it is the connection with Arishadvargas or Shadripu/Shada Ripu, these are six enemies of the mind, Kama (lust), Krodha (anger), Lobha (greed), Mada (arrogance), Moha (delusion), and Matsarya (jealousy). The lamp is the body, Oil the Life, Wick is the Breath and Flame is Realisation.
2. The Second Lamp having Six wicks to be lit within your head for it is connection to Dharma (Virtue/Righteousness) strengthening the Virtue of Knowledge and Wisdom, Courage, Humanity, Justice, Temperance, Transcendence
3. Third Lamp of Six Wicks to be lit within your Tongue for it represents shat-Rasa Sweet, Sour, Salty, Pungent, Bitter and Astringent. and the way the balancing is happening within the body, mind and emotion
4. Fourth Lamp of Seven Wicks to be Lit at the Brow point representing Rasa (plasma), Rakta(blood), Mamsa (Muscle), Meda (Adipose Tissue), Asthi(Bones and Cartilages), Majja(Bone Marrow), Shukra (Reproductive Tissue and fluid)
5. Fifth Lamp of Nine Wicks to be lit at the Throat representing the subtle aspect of Sukshmna-Lupta tatva (Subtlest point of time), Subtle form of Atom (Sukshuma-Anutatva), Expanse of the Life (Mahat Jiva Tatva), Garimatsisarupa (Infinitely Heavy), Sukshmanaimishatatva (Smallest point within time), Kaalanirodha (Time controller), Kaalanirodhah (Space Controller), Ishatatva (Controlling the Desires), Satyarthadharma (Truth following)
6. Six Lamp having just 2 wicks to be lit above the Head in such a way that front side of head one can see only one lighted wick. These represent Serenity and Bliss. This lamp works through the rest of the above Five Lamps.
Make sure that one light these Six lamps everyday in the morning for the self to become better and evolve naturally
– Astrologically the first three lamps cover all the Nine Planets Twice allowing the Twin effects one for removal of obstacles the planets and opening upon newer pathways for one to progress on the spiritual path
– Lamps Four, Five and Six again Covers the planets again twice for appeasement to the planets to strengthen one at body, mind and emotional levels as well Energize the Body, Mind and Emotion to be balanced and in tune with the core energy of this spirit
1. Today Light One Lamp near the Altar with 4 Wicks having Clarified Butter (Ghee), this lamp protects the family from any unexpected incidents and brings in good luck.
2. Second Diya which is used one should be lit at Southern direction of House for protection of Life, The Diya should have One wick. Oil can be Til/Gingelly
3. Third Diya is to be lit near the place where one keeps precious ornaments, Cash (in office also similarly it should be done at Accounts Office or near the place where Safe is) The Lamp should have Five wicks representing Prosperity, Abundance, Finance, Wealth and magnificence. Oil can be Til/Gingelly
4. Fourth Diya to be lit in front of Kitchen having Five Wicks representing Health, Well-Being, Good Temperament, Spirit force and Lifeforce. Oil can be Til/Gingelly
5. Fifth diya is placed in front of Main gate having Four Wicks representing Peace, Happiness, Solace, and Abundance. Oil can be Til/Gingelly
6. Sixth diya must be placed outside the main entrance of your house. It signifies welcoming the joy, love, good luck and happiness to your home. Oil can be Til/Gingelly
7. For Seventh Diya, Take a Peepal Leaf and place the Diya on top of it and should be lit with Five Wicks for auspiciousness, relief from financial crisis, health stability, fame and fortune.
8. Eight Diya should be placed in front of the Temple/altar with 11 wicks having Clarified Butter(Ghee) for progeny, peace, stability and spiritual awakening
9. Ninth diya must be lit near the Bathroom/ Toilets(if multiple bathrooms/ toilets are there place one in each place) the oil should be mustard/Til and it should have one wick
10. Tenth diya in the Verandah/balcony to maintain the flow of positive energy around the house. Oil can be mustard/Til (Gingelly)
11. Eleventh Diya on the centre of Window base for bringing in happiness and newer opening in life. Each Diya shall have one wick, the oil can be Gingelly
12. Twelfth Diya on the Staircase to bring in ascension in all aspects of life, Oil can be Til(Gingelly)
13. Thirteenth Diya near the Store having one wick having Til oil
14. Fourteenth Diya near the Bedroom having Three Wicks having Til Oil for bringing in peace, Harmony and balance in relationships
15. Fifteenth Diya in Children’s bedroom at Northern or Western direction for betterment in life, good education
16. Sixteenth at roof top/ terrace, the oil should be Til
17. Seventeenth diya at the car park, oil should be mustard, one wick
18. Eighteenth Diya at intersection of your house. Having One Wick and Mustard Oil.
The number of Diya’s are shown as locations and numbers to be placed are 1,3,5 at Rooms; 2, 4,6,8 at windows, 1,3,5 at Doors, terrace/car park- 4,6,8, Toilets/bathrooms- 2,4